Our mission is to provide a high quality overhaul and repair process for Lycoming and Continental aircraft engines, ranging from the Continental A65 through to the Lycoming 8 cylinder IO-720. Whether your engine requires a full overhaul or bulk strip, the meticulous attention to detail by our highly skilled team of technicians and engineers ensure your engine is maintained to the highest standards.
Contact our team to discuss your requirements.
An outline of our engine overhaul process is below
1. Initial Inspection
- Engine is checked in, photographed to provide a record of the general condition, the orientation of fittings, position of hoses and the engine accessories supplied with the engine.
- Details of all engine accessories such as, magnetos, carburetor, fuel injector, alternator, starter motor, turbocharger are recorded.
- The engine log book is reviewed to verify the engine history and identify any other issues with the engine that may require attention.
2. Engine Stripped and Cleaned
- Engineers perform an initial visual inspection of all parts as they are being removed to identify any abnormal wear or other issues that may affect the operation of the engine.
- Mandatory parts and other un-repairable items that are to be replaced are separated and held.
- All parts are then thoroughly cleaned and prepared for detailed inspection.
3. Inspection Procedures
- All the major steel parts are inspected for cracks and defects using the Magnetic Particle Technique.
- The major alloy components are inspected for cracks and defects using the fluorescent dye penetrant technique
- Detailed dimensional inspections are performed on all engine parts to check that they meet specifications.
4. Preliminary Assembly
- Items such as connecting rods, counterweights, rocker arms are re-bushed.
- Pistons, piston pins, and connecting rods are balanced.
- The new bearing shells are fitted the crankcase and connecting rods to ensure the correct fit and clearance when the engine is finally assembled.
- Cylinders are overhauled or replaced with new assemblies in accordance with the customers instructions.
- All parts are individually primed and painted prior to final assembly.
- Engine hardware items such as nut, bolts and brackets are re-cad plated and stress relieved.
5. Engine Components
- Engine component such as magnetos, fuel injection system, starters and alternators are overhauled and repaired as required.
- During the overhaul and repair the components are bench tested and set to the initial calibration figures.
6. Engine Assembly
- Each engine is assembled and built by a highly experienced and specialised engine builder.
- At each stage during the final assembly of the engine, dual inspections are performed to verify the correct assembly of the engine.
- Detailed records are kept of all the work done, and all the parts fitted to the engine for future reference.
7. Performance Testing
- After assembly each engine is thoroughly tested on either our dynamometer test cell, or conventional test truck to verify the correct operation of the engine.
- All engine operating parameters such as engine speed and manifold pressure, engine power, oil temperature and pressure, cylinder head temperatures, fuel flows and pressures, are all monitored and recorded.
- Each engine is run for approximately 2 hours to achieve the initial break-in of the piston rings and to verify that the engine is operating correctly.
8. Final Inspection
- The oil filters used during the test run are opened and inspected. Oil suction screens are checked. Cylinder leakage rates are checked.
- After removal from the test facility the engine is inhibited to stop corrosion.
- A final inspection of the engine is conducted and the engine is prepared for shipping.
Component Overhaul and Repair
Aviation Engines provides comprehensive repair, testing and overhaul of a wide range of engine
components, covered under our CASR Part 145 Certificate.
Parts are released using a CASA Authorised Release Certificate.
Components maintained include:
- Fuel Injection Systems
- Fuel Pumps
- Starter Motors and Alternators
- Turbochargers and Controllers
- Waste Gates